Why not join hundreds of landlords who choose Boxall Brown & Jones to look after their property? With extensive experience in the Lettings market, we can offer you expert advice on marketing and managing your property.

“Genuine thanks to you and all at Boxall, Brown and Jones from Amy and myself for your help and support over the past 2 and a half years. Excellent agents like yourselves are all too rare and we would recommend your company to anyone.” Mr C

Why LET your property with Boxall Brown & Jones Lettings?

Boxall Brown & Jones have over 27 years of experience in the local lettings market and have an extensive portfolio of clients who trust us to look after their property.

Boxall Brown & Jones are able to offer the very highest standards in property management and will take care of your property from the moment the tenants move in, till the day they move out – and beyond!

Landlords Fees


When considering letting my property, do I need to tell the mortgage lender?

It is absolutely crucial if you are considering renting out your property that you contact your mortgage lender as not telling them will breach your mortgage conditions. Mortgage lenders will consider your individual circumstances before giving you their written approval to continue with the letting.

What is an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a legal requirement for all rented properties and Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings will be delighted to arrange one on your behalf. The Energy Performance Certificate shows prospective tenants how energy efficient your property is and gives it a rating from A-G depending on its efficiency.  

How can I get the best price for my property?

In recent years the lettings market has continued to become more and more competitive and in order to get the very best price for a property, it really must be presented to the highest standard. By investing a little bit of time and effort to show a property in its best way, you can be sure of attracting good quality tenants who will enjoy living at the property and pay their rent on time!

How do I know how much rent to charge?

Boxall Brown and Jones  Lettings have years of experience in advising clients on renting out their property. Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings will provide a free valuation service to anybody thinking of renting their property and our representative will attend the property and advise you on both the rental value, and answer any questions that you have. If you are interested please call our office on 01332 384438  

Should I let my property furnished?

We currently have more demand for unfurnished property than we do for furnished and so generally speaking we would recommend that you leave the property completely empty. However, if it is more appropriate to leave furniture in the house we will provide you and your tenant with a detailed inventory which will detail everything which has been left, fixtures and fittings, so that there is no dispute at the end of the tenancy regarding what items were left and what condition they were left in.  

How do I know I am getting a good tenant?

Boxall Brown and Jones  Lettings are able to undertake detailed checks on any prospective tenants thinking of letting a property through us. We employ a company call FCC Paragon who will complete full credit checking and comprehensive referencing report.  They will look at employment references, past landlords and accountants references and complete a detailed credit check to ensure that the people thinking of letting your property are capable of doing so. We strongly believe that time spent before a tenancy commences, checking out the tenant fully, gives landlords the opportunity to decide whether to let their property to a particular tenant or not – saving time, hassle and aggravation at a later stage.  

What do I do about a deposit?

Any tenants wishing to rent a property through Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings will be required to pay one month’s rent plus £150 as a deposit. This deposit will be kept in our clients account until the end of the tenancy when, if you are happy with the way the property has been left, the deposit will be returned in full to the tenant. If there has been any damage to the property caused during the tenants stay, it may be possible to take money from the deposit to cover this which is obviously what the deposit is there for. Deposits looked after by Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings are administered by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme. The Tenancy Deposit Scheme is an independent, not-for-profit company established in 2003 to resolve complaints and disputes arising from tenancies in the private rented sector. The Scheme ensures that tenancy deposits are securely held and available for return to the tenant, resolving any disputes arising about the allocation of the deposit when an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ends quickly, cost effectively and fairly. For more information on the Tenancy Deposit Scheme please visit the website at

Who has to pay the council tax on the property?

Council Tax is the responsibility of the tenant and Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings will ensure that the Local Authority is informed when the tenant moves into the property.

Who is responsible for the TV licence. The tenant or the landlord?

The tenant is responsible for the TV Licence and should contact the Licensing Authority on moving into the property to arrange payment.

What is an inventory?

An inventory is a document which is prepared before the tenant moves into the property detailing the exact condition of the property prior to occupation. Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings take considerable time and effort to prepare a very detailed inventory on any property that is let and this will schedule everything about the internal and external appearance of the property. If furniture is being left at the property, this will all be listed in the inventory and this document will be accompanied by a series of photographs showing the exact condition of both the house and its contents. It is absolutely crucial that a very detailed inventory is prepared on every property so that at the end of the tenancy, if there is a dispute, this document can be relied upon.

What happens about insurance when I let out a property?

It is extremely important to arrange insurance on the property when it is let and landlords should make sure that the insurance they organise specifically covers rented property.  Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings are Introducer Appointed Representatives to LeaseguardInsurance and we will be delighted to provide you with further details about their products and services.  Click here:

How do I receive my rental income?

Any properties managed by Boxall Brown and Jones  Lettings will be looked after by a sophisticated computer management system. Rents will be paid into our office and as soon as the funds are cleared the monies will be paid directly into the landlords account, less our fees and charges.

Can a tenant change the locks on my property without consent from a landlord?

The tenancy agreement clearly states that locks to the property cannot be changed without the expressed consent of the landlord. If a tenant requests this we will contact the landlord immediately.

What should I do if a tenant has left furniture in my property after they have moved out?

If the tenant leaves furniture which they should have taken with them, we can arrange for the removal of any unwanted items. It is the tenant’s responsibility to make sure that the property is left in exactly the condition that they found it upon vacating the house and we could apply for monies to be taken from the deposit to arrange for the costs associated with removal.

Who can help me if I have a problem with BB&J Lettings?

Boxall Brown & Jones are an independent firm of Chartered Surveyors and Estate Agents. Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings are therefore regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, National Association of Estate Agents, Association of Residential Letting Agents and are members of The Property Ombudsman Scheme. Chris Birds is the Partner with responsibility for Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings and if your question or query cannot be adequately resolved by speaking to the team, Chris is always on hand to offer help and advice. Ultimately if you are unhappy with the response you receive you are able to take your complaint to the Regulatory Authorities mentioned above.

What happens if I need a contractor to attend to a job at the property?

Boxall Brown and Jones  Lettings have a full range of contractors on hand to offer service to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. So, whether it be a leaking tap or a full extension we have highly professional contractors who will be more than happy to help. This full service is provided by Boxall Brown and Jones Lettings and we would be happy to give you further information.

What regulations am I required to comply with?

There are numerous regulations which you will need to comply with if you are thinking of letting your property whether through an agent or not. The regulations relate to the checking of gas appliances and electrical installation of equipment. Further details on the exact up to date legislation can be obtained from the Lettings team. If you have any specific questions or concerns to the ever changing legislation, please contact the Lettings office where we will be pleased to give you the most up to date advice.